Barmoor Castle


Barmoor Castle was first recorded in 1341 when the Muschampe family was granted a licence to crenellate, in 1415 it was described as a fortalice. Barmoor was the site of the English Camp on the night before the Battle of Flodden in 1513. By 1541 the castle was described as being "on extreme decaye and almoste ruynous for lack of reparacions".[1] In 1801 it was rebuilt as a castellated Gothick-style country house, incorporating parts of the earlier castle, designed by John Paterson for Francis Sitwell. During the 19th century further modifications were made to the castle, before the building was completed in 1892. Barmoor castle is a Grade II* listed building. Today Barmoor Castle Country Park is a caravan and lodge park which is centred around the castle. The Lamb family bought Barmoor Castle and it's 12 acre estate in 1979, undertaking major renovation of the site before opening the first section of the caravan park in 1990. In 2010, commemorative gate was built for the castle depicting the banners of the English Army, the Tudor Rose and typical weapons from 1513 and the Battle of Flodden. 

Barmoor Castle is a privately owned 19th-century country house built on an ancient site in Northumberland. It is a Grade II* listed building. As at 2008 the decaying building is officially listed on the English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register.

Muschamp family

After the Norman Conquest the Manor of Barmoor was granted to the Muschamp family who built a tower house on the site. A licence to crenellate the house was granted by Edward III on 17 May 1341. A 1541 survey described the house as ' in extreme decay and almost ruinous for lack of reparations'. Some repairs and improvements were carried out in 1584 but the Muschamps experienced financial difficulties, and following the death of George Muschamp in 1649 the estate was sold to William Carr of Etal to satisfy the demands of creditors.

Sitwell family

After 1702 the estate changed hands several times until in 1791 it was acquired by inheritance by Francis Hurt Sitwell. The Sitwells engaged architect John Paterson of Edinburgh and in 1801 built the present substantial castellated Gothic revival mansion on the site of and incorporating some existing stonework of the old house. Later improvements and extensions were carried out c.1892 by Brigadier-General W.H. Sitwell. From 1899 to 1913 the Castle was rented by Thomas Hodgkin.

Present day

The present owner occupiers, the Lamb family, acquired the house and in the 1980s from where they operate a caravan and holiday park.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 26/11/2017).
Visit the page: Barmoor Castle for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
Barmoor Castle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
North East tower of Barmoor castle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Battle of Flodden, 1513
  Co-Curate Page
Battle of Flodden, 1513
- Overview About the Battle Map The Battle of Flodden (or Flodden Field) near Branxton was fought between the English and the invading Scottish army on the 9th of September 1513. ...
from https://www.historicengland...
BARMOOR CASTLE - List Entry
- "Country house. Largely 1801 by Patterson of Edinburgh but incorporating earlier masonry and with building continuing throughout the C19. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. A building of classical character but ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Barmoor, Northumberland
  Co-Curate Page
Barmoor, Northumberland
- Overview Map Street View Barmoor is a hamlet in Northumberland by the boarder with Scotland, including Barmoor Castle, just west of Lowick. There are a few residences, most of wich ...
from http://www.barmoorcastle.co...
Barmoor Castle Country Park
- Official Website of Barmoor Castle Country Park. The Website has information about the park, caravans and lodges - and also it's story: "My father and mother, Hedley and Ann Lamb ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://gatehouse-gazetteer....
BARMOOR CASTLE
- ".....Formerly a seat of the Muschampe family, licence to crenellate was granted in 1341 and the building was described in 1415 as a fortalice. By 1541 it was 'on extreme ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Barmoor Gate Opening - Commemorating the Battle of Flodden

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.imagesofengland....
Barmoor Castle
- Brief description of the castle on the Images of England Website by English Heritage.

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES