Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Aikton Civil Parish

Aikton Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Cumbria County Council.

About the Parish

Main Settlements:

Aikton (village), BiglandsGamelsby, Thornby, Wampool and Wiggonby.

Population:

467  (2011 Census)

480  (2001 Census)

Area: 25.0 km2
Parish Council: Aikton Parish Council
District Council: Allerdale Borough Council
County Council: Cumbria County Council

Historical

Ancient Townships

Aikton Township

Biglands with Gamblesby Township

Wampool Township

Wiggonby Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below) - but doesn't seem to have been the case here.

Ancient Parish:

Aikton Parish  (St. Andrew)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient Districts:

Mostly in Allerdale below Derwent (ward)

Partly in Cumberland (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Wigton Poor Law Union, formed in 1836.

Wigton Union Workhouse was located on Cross Street, Wigton, which was built in 1842 to house up to 250 inmates. Prior to that there had been smaller workhouses in Caldbeck, Oulton, Glasson, and Wigton.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

County:

Cumberland, until 1974, then:

Cumbria, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972. The new county absorbed Cumberland and Westmorland, and added some parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.

District Council:

Wigton Rural District (1894 - 1974)

Allerdale Borough (1974 - )  Created by the Local Government Act 1972. Allerdale absorbed the former municipal borough of Workington; the urban districts of Maryport, Cockermouth and Keswick; and the rural districts of Cockermouth and Wigton.

See also:  Historic Buildings and Monuments in Aikton Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / unitary authority, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in Cumbria Biglands Aikton Wampool Gamelsby Wiggonby Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848 Aikton Parish, 1848 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Aikton Civil Parish
from http://www.aikton.org.uk/
Aikton Parish Council
- "...Aikton (Oaktown) extends about five miles in length from north to south and two miles in breadth from east to west. It is bounded by Bowness on the North, Thursby ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Aikton
  Co-Curate Page
Aikton
- Overview About Aikton Map Street View Aitkon is a small rural village in Cumbria, located about 7 miles west of Carlisle and 3 miles north of Wigton. To the southern ...
Gamelsby
  Co-Curate Page
Gamelsby
- BIGLANDS, with Gamblesby, a township, in the parish of Aikton, union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, and E. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (N.) from Wigton; containing 187 inhabitants. At Gamblesby ...
Biglands
  Co-Curate Page
Biglands
- Overview About Biglands Map Street View Biglands is a hamlet in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located about 3 miles north of Wigton. It is part of the Civil Parish ...
Wampool
  Co-Curate Page
Wampool
- WAMPOOL, a township, in the parish of Aikton, union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, and E. division of the county of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Wigton, containing 107 ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Aikton
- "Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland, encompassing townships of Aikton, Biglands & Gamelsby, Wampool and Wiggonby.....manor of Aikton (which included Wiggonby) held by Colville family in 13th century, conveyed to ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Wiggonby
- WIGGONBY, a township, in the parish of Aikton, union of Wigton, ward and E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (N.E.) from Wigton; containing 190 inhabitants Margaret Hodgson, in 1792, left ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES