GLASSONBY, a township, in the parish of Addingham, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8 miles (N.E. by N.) from Penrith; containing 165 inhabitants. It comprises 2,245 acres, of which 900 are common. The village is situated on an eminence, about a mile north of the parish church. At the hamlet of Maughamby, in the township, is a free school, founded in 1634 by the Rev. Edward Mayplett, who endowed it with 72 acres of land.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.