Sockbridge is a village in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 2 miles south of Penrith. It is situated on the west side of Lady Beck, a small river, which joins the River Eamont, roughly ½ mile to the north of the village. Sockbridge is almost continuous with the village of Tirril, which is on the eastern side of Lady Beck. Since 1866, the two villages and their surrounding area formed Sockbridge and Tirril Civil Parish. Historically, Sockbridge with Tirril was a township in the ancient parish of Barton in the old county of Westmorland.