Tirril is a village in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 2 miles south of Penrith. It is situated on the east side of Lady Beck, a small river, which joins the River Eamont, roughly ½ mile to the north of the village. Tirril is almost continuous with the village of Sockbridge, which is on the western side of Lady Beck. Since 1866, the two villages and their surrounding area formed Sockbridge and Tirril Civil Parish. Historically, Sockbridge with Tirril was a township in the ancient parish of Barton in the old county of Westmorland.