Sockbridge with Tirril Township, 1848
SOCKBRIDGE, a township, in the parish of Barton, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Penrith; containing 250 inhabitants. It is situated on the south bank of the river Eamont, and abounds with limestone. The ancient Hall, a quadrangular building with a tower, has been converte.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Sockbridge and Tirril now form the Civil Parish of Sockbridge and Tirril.