Whitton, Northumberland, 1848
WHITTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, ½ a mile (S.) from Rothbury; containing 82 inhabitants. In 1381, Earl Gilbert Umfraville died possessed of this manor, which his relict conveyed in marriage to the first lord Percy, by one of whose descendants it was given in exchange to the rectory of Rothbury, for the old hall and glebe of that benefice, "which lay intermixed through the demesne of Rothbury." The village is pleasantly situated a short distance west of the road from Rothbury to Rothley. Whitton Tower, formerly a very strong fortress, is a commodious edifice, still occupied by the rector of the parish; near it is a circular observatory, built by the late Dr. Sharp.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.