Waterfall Viaduct, nr Guisborough


The stone viaduct over Waterfall Beck and Spa Woods near Fancy Bank (A171), east of Guisborough, was constructed between 1858 and 1862 as part of the former Cleveland Railway. The railway was constructed by Sir Lowthian Bell and Ralph Ward Jackson to carry ironstone from Bell and Jackson’s inland mines, including Spa Wood Mine, to Bell’s ironworks at Port Clarence on the River Tees.[1] The construction of the railway was opposed by the Stockton and Darlington Railway, who wished to maintain a monopoly south of the Tees. The Cleveland Railway was amalgamated with the North Eastern Railway network in 1863 and was last used in 1960. The viaduct, known locally as "Waterfall Viaduct", is Grade II listed.

from Geograph (geograph)
Waterfall Viaduct

Pinned by Peter Smith
from https://historicengland.org...
RAILWAY VIADUCT - Guisborough - List Entry
- "A mid C19 railway viaduct on the Cleveland railway for Sir Lowthian Bell and Ralph Ward Jackson, constructed to carry iron ore from their inland mines to Bell's ironworks ...

Added by
Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
viaduct to nowhere

Pinned by Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES