Warkworth


Warkworth is a village in Northumberland situated in a loop of the River Coquet about 1 mile from the coast. The village's medieval history is evident from the well preserved Warkworth Castle, Church of St Lawrence, fortified bridge and nearby Walkworth Hermitage.

A church has existed on the riverside site in the village for around 1,200 years. St. Lawrence church is a large and almost completely Norman building, which is unique in Northumberland. The first record of the village dates from 737AD when King Ceolwulf of Northumbria gave the church and village to the Abbot and monks of Lindisfarne. In 1174, the church was the scene of a massacre when some 300 people were brutally butchered by Duncan, Earl of Fife during a Scottish raid. John Law, was vicar of Warkworth in the 1770s.

Warkworth Castle was founded at an uncertain date; traditionally its construction has been ascribed to Prince Henry of Scotland in the mid-12th century, but it may have been built by King Henry II of England when he took control of England's northern counties. A timber castle was first documented in a charter of 1157–1164 when Henry II granted it to Roger fitz Richard. However it was considered "feeble", and was left undefended when the Scots invaded in 1173.

Roger's son Robert inherited and improved the castle. Robert was a favourite of King John, and hosted him at Warkworth Castle in 1213. The castle remained in the family line, with periods of guardianship when heirs were too young to control their estates. King Edward I stayed overnight in 1292 and John de Clavering, descendant of Roger fitz Richard, made the Crown his inheritor. With the outbreak of the Anglo-Scottish Wars, Edward II invested in castles including Warkworth where he funded the strengthening of the garrison in 1319. Twice in 1327 the Scots besieged the castle without success.

During the 18th century the castle was allowed to languish. The south-west tower was falling apart and around 1752 part of the curtain wall east of the gatehouse was demolished (it was rebuilt towards the end of the century). The town and its historic ruins were by now attracting interest as a tourist destination, largely due to Bishop Thomas Percy's poem, The Hermit of Warkworth. In the mid 19th century Hugh Percy, 3rd Duke of Northumberland, undertook some preservation work. His successor, Algernon Percy, contracted Anthony Salvin to restore the keep.

In 1922 Alan Percy, 8th Duke of Northumberland, granted custodianship of the castle to the Office of Works which had been made accountable for the guardianship of ancient monuments. The Duke's Chambers remained under direct control of the Percys. The Office of Works undertook excavations in the moat in 1924 and removed the custodian from the gatehouse. English Heritage, who now manage and maintain the site, succeeded as the castle's custodians in 1984.

In the 20th century Nikolaus Pevsner said of the imposing castle that the military engineer happened also to be a great architect. He went on: "Warkworth must be approached from the north. With its bridge, its bridge-tower, then Bridge Street at an angle, joining the main street up a hill to the towering, sharply cut block of the keep, it is one of the most exciting sequences of views one can have in England."

Warkworth once had a railway station, located approximately 1 mile west of the village. It was designed by Benjamin Green for the Newcastle and Berwick Railway. The station closed to passengers in 1958 and closed to goods traffic in 1962.

Due to Warkworth's popularity, the village cater for large numbers of visitors throughout the year. Facilities include three pubs, two hotels, a number of cafés, restaurants and tearooms, a chocolate shop and patisserie, a general store, and several galleries / boutiques.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 16/05/2016).
Visit the page: Warkworth, Northumberland for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
On Castle Street heading towards the Church of St Lawrence.
from Flickr (flickr)
286/366 Warkworth High Street and Castle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
The Old School, Warkworth, comté de Northumberland, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Warkworth et la rivière Coquet, comté de Northumberland, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Warkworth Castle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Warkworth, Northumberland.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
church ... Warkworth, Northumberland.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
iphoto - Warkworth Castle - 15

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
rose garden ... Warkworth, Northumberland.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Warkworth Castle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Warkworth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Warkworth, Northumberland.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Brewers lane, Warkworth, Northumberland.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from TWAM (flickr)
Warkworth in the snow

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Warkworth Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Warkworth Castle
- Overview About Warkworth Castle Map Street View Warkworth Castle is a well preserved medieval castle which is cared for by English Heritage. The castle is located by a loop in ...
from Flickr (flickr)
Warworth 003 Exterior 01a Down the hill

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 164 of 'Local Records; or, Historical Register of remarkable events which have occurred in Northumberland and Durham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Berwick-upon-Tweed, with biographical notices of deceased persons ... 1833 to ... 1866, bei

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Birling, Northumberland
  Co-Curate Page
Birling, Northumberland
- Overview Map Street View Birling is a hamlet located immediately north of Warkworth in Northumberland. Birling is on the A1068 road and close to the River Coquet. Hidden from view ...
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
Topping, J - Warkworth - 9 Mar 1915

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
JW Henshall - 7th NF - Warkworth (Wounded)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES