Warenford


Warenford is a village by the Waren Burn in Northumberland, just over 3 miles south of Belford and 10 miles north-west of Alnwick. The village of Warenford has been settled since medieval times, with documentary references from 1296 onwards.[1] As well as dwellings, a chapel and mill, medieval Warenford had St John the Baptist's located just outside the village, later used as a hermitage.[2] The village name suggests a ford for crossing the Waren Burn, prior to the building of Warenford Bridge in the late 18th or early 19th century. This bridge carried the old A1 road through Warenford until the A1 was re-routed to the west of the village in the 1970s. Warenford is in the civil parish of Adderstone and Lucker. Close by, to the west, are Twizell House and Twizell.

from Geograph (geograph)
The White Swan Inn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
White Swan

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Row of terraced houses, Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Waren Burn, Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Waren Burn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Coat of arms on terrace, Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Victorian post box, Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Parish notice board and post box, Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old road sign in Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Warenford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
St John the Baptist's Leper Hospital (Adderstone with Lucker)
- "A leper hospital was founded at Warenford before 1253. However, by 1399 it was deserted and had become a hermitage. It is thought the hospital was dedicated to St John ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Warenford shrunken village (Adderstone with Lucker)
- "The village of Warenford has been settled since medieval times. There are documentary references from 1296 onwards which show that as well as dwellings the medieval village contained a leper ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES