Topics > Northumberland > Twizell (Whalton)

Twizell (Whalton)


Twizell and Twizell Cottages are hamlets in the Civil Parish of Whalton in Northumberland. Twizell Cottages are located about 3½ miles north of Ponteland and 5 miles south-west of Morpeth. Twizell (farm) is about a ¼ mile west of this, by the River Blyth, close to where Ogle Burn joins the river at Twizell Banks. The medieval village of Twizell was first documented in 1242, but was largely deserted by the early 17th century.[1] Twizell Farmhouse dates from the mid 18th Century and is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.[2] The farm provides a good example of an early planned foldyard layout of farm buildings.

Not to be confused with Twizell (Adderstone with Lucker), or Twizell (Duddo), both are also in Northumberland.

Twizell Cottages (Twizell can be seen a short distance to the east, by the River Blyth):

Twizell Cottages:

Northumberland Deserted Medieval Village Historic Buildings and Monuments in Whalton Civil Parish Whalton Civil Parish
from Geograph (geograph)
Barn conversions at Twizell

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Bridleway at Twizell

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Farmland towards Twizell Banks

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Deserted medieval village of Twizell
- "This is the site of the deserted medieval village of Twizell. It was first recorded in 1242. It was virtually deserted by the early 17th century, though a map of ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
TWIZELL FARMHOUSE - List Entry
- "House. Mid-C18 altered late C19. Squared stone with raised quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with brick stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Central renewed door with 2-pane overlight in ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
FARM BUILDINGS AND ATTACHED WALL, TO WEST OF TWIZELL FARMHOUSE - List Entry
- "Barn, granary and attached wall. Mid-C18 except for early C19 granary. Squared stone with cut quoins and dressings....Barn on west side of yard with L-plan granary at north end ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
FARMBUILDINGS TO NORTH EAST OF TWIZELL FARMHOUSE - List Entry
- "Shelter sheds, stable and store. Mid-C18. Squared stone; pantile roof on main part of east range with Welsh slates to eaves, and on other buildings. L-plan. Main range on east ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Historic Buildings and Monuments in Whalton Civil Parish
  Co-Curate Page
Historic Buildings and Monuments in Whalton Civil Parish
- Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Whalton Civil Parish, Northumberland, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument. ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES