Topics > County Durham > Trimdon
"Trimdon has been the site of an established settlement since at least the 12th century and there has been documented evidence of archaeological discoveries dating from the Bronze Age onwards. The long narrow green threads its way through the oldest part of Trimdon Village. The ancient village church of St Mary Magdalene is a central focal point and dates back to the Norman period. It is set on a raised mound and dominates the centre of the village and views through the conservation area. In 1146 it is documented that the Church was given to Guisborough Priory and was later purchased by the Roper family during the reign of Henry VIII after the dissolution of the Catholic Church. Church records date from 1725. One of the most famous aspects of Trimdon’s history occurred in 1020 when Trimdon Village was visited by King Canute." (Durham County Council)
Add a comment or share a memory.