Trimdon Parish, 1848
TRIMDON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Sedgefield, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 9 miles (S.E.) from Durham; containing 382 inhabitants. The soil is a strong clayey loam, with a substratum of limestone. Large pieces of lead-ore have been dug up in the neighbourhood, though no mine has yet been opened; coal is raised, and shipped at Hartlepool. The village is situated on the summit of a hill, aud commands extensive and beautiful views. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £96; patron and impropriator, William Beckwith, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £175. 14.: there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 120 acres. A lectureship was endowed before 1730, with £21. 5. a year, by John Smith, Esq. A national school is endowed with £12 per annum; and an estate purchased with various bequests, and let for £32 per annum, is applied in apprenticing children and relieving poor persons.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.