Topics > Cockermouth > Strawberry How (former Grammar School)

Strawberry How (former Grammar School)

The former site of Cockermouth Grammar School is located on Strawberry How, off Strawberry How Road in Cockermouth. It was originally built as Cumberland Industrial School for Boys, which was opened by the Home Secretary, Sir William Harcourt in 1881.[1] The Industrial School closed in 1921, and later reopened as the Cockermouth Secondary School. In 1945, this became Cockermouth Grammar School. In 1984, Cockermouth Grammar School merged with Derwent School to form Cockermouth School, which operated on the two sites up to c.1991, until the former Derwent School site was extended to accommodate all the students on one site. Later, the building was converted to use as a business park with offices and workshops. Then in 2004 it was converted to housing. The building complex is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Cockermouth Former School Cockermouth School 1881 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Cockermouth
from Geograph (geograph)
Strawberry How

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Former Grammar School, Cockermouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
- "Former Industrial School, later Grammar School, and presently office and workshop complex. Opened in 1881 as the Cumberland Industrial School, converted to offices and workshops late C20. Red brick, rising …

Added by
Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

List number: 1096081
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.