Shilbottle Parish, 1848
SHILBOTTLE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing, with the townships of Hazon, Newton-on-the-Moor, Whittle, and Woodhouse, 1,208 inhabitants, of whom 549 are in Shilbottle township, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Alnwick. The parish comprises 5921a. 3r, 20p., of which 4400 acres are arable, 1,255 pasture and meadow, and 140 woodland: the soil is a strong clay, producing grain of all kinds; and great numbers of cattle and sheep are reared and fattened for the markets. The substratum abounds with coal of good quality, of which mines are in operation. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £4. 14. 8.; net income, £222: it is in the patronage of the Crown, and the remainder of the rectorial tithes belong to various persons. The incumbent's tithes in Shilbottle township have been commuted for £77, and the impropriators for £246: the vicar has a glebe of 18 acres. The church, which was thoroughly repaired about 1793, retains a portion of its original Norman character. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.