SEATON, with Slingley, a township, in the parish of Seaham, union of Easington, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (S. by W.) from Sunderland; containing 175 inhabitants. At an early period, Seaton seems to have formed but one integral manor with Seaham: the principal families that have held lands here, are those of Hadham, Blakiston, Middleton, Hebborne, and Wilson. The Durham and Sunderland railway has a fixed engine here, of 42-horse power, for working the trains up from Ryhope. The village is cheerful, and situated on an easy swell of country, surrounded by green inclosures. Slingley, anciently called Slinglaw, lies to the south-west of Seaton.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.