Seaton Burn Colliery (1844 - 1965)


Seaton Burn Colliery opened by the Grand Allies c.1844. By 1852 it was owned by John Bowes & Co. and from 1938 by Hartley Main Collieries Ltd. At its peak in 1921, the colliery employed 1,311 people (1,020 working below the surface, and 291 working on the surface).[1] Seaton Burn Colliery closed on the 17th of August, 1965.
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Seaton Burn Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(1064): Seaton Burn Colliery (Brenkley Colliery)
- "Seatonburn Colliery, served by a wagonway (HER ref. 1067), opened c.1844 after several years sinking the shaft, and closed 17th August 1963. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map shows ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Blagdon Terrace, Seaton Burn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Blagdon Terrace

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Seaton Burn Waggon Way.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Seaton Burn Wagonway
  Co-Curate Page
Seaton Burn Wagonway
- Brunton & Shields Railway, opened in 1826 by the Grand Allies, and built by Benjamin Thompson, extended in 1837. From 1878 it became known as the Seaton Burn Wagonway. Today ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES