Tyne and Wear HER(1064): Seaton Burn Colliery (Brenkley Colliery)

  • Description

    "Seatonburn Colliery, served by a wagonway (HER ref. 1067), opened c.1844 after several years sinking the shaft, and closed 17th August 1963. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map shows a shaft within the colliery; the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map shows the expansion of colliery buildings and spoil heaps and the addition of two Smithys. The initial ownership was with the Grand Allies but by 1850 had passed to John Bowes & Partners. By 1899 the owners were the Seaton Burn Coal Company. The mine became part of Hartley Mains collieries in the 1930s...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/1064
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 70 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES