Saxon Church, Escomb


The Saxon Church in Escomb, County Durham, was built around 675 AD with stone probably from the Roman Fort at Binchester.  The church is one of most complete surviving Anglo-Saxon churches in England. It is a Grade I listed building.

The church was founded c.670-675. Much of the stone came from the nearby Roman Fort at Binchester. On the south wall is a 7th or early 8th Century sundial, and on the north wall is a reused Roman stone with the markings "LEG VI" (Sixth Legion) set upside down. The church was restored in 1875-1880 by RJ Johnson, and in 1965 by Sir Albert Richardson. It is a Grade I listed building.

St. John's, set in its circular churchyard, has been in continuous use since Anglo-Saxon times but for a brief interval in the nineteenth century when a new church was built nearby and the Anglo-Saxon fabric was allowed to lie derelict. It was partly unroofed from 1863 until 1867. The church is built of large roughly dressed, squared stones, with particularly large quoin-stones, many of which are up to 2 ft high and between 3 ft and 4 ft measured along the wall face.

Because Bede did not mention the church, some argued that it was not built until after his death (735). However, he only named churches which were associated with events which he recorded.

In his book (Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965) H.Taylor mentions that the early character of the building and its resemblance to other early work in Northumberland suggest that it was built in the period 650 to 800. Apart from the insertion of some medieval windows and the alteration of the south doorway (of which the eastern jamb is perhaps alone original), the body of the church stands now as it was built comprising a long rectangular nave, with five small windows high up in its lofty walls, and a square chancel, entered through an arch of imposing design.

Above the sundial is a projecting animal’s head. Internally the most impressive feature is the tall, narrow chancel arch, the jambs of the head being formed of stones that pass through the full thickness of the wall. It has been noted that the southern impost of this arch is reminiscent of one of the gateways of the Roman fort of Chesters on the Roman wall, in this case supporting the theory that stones were removed from the neighbouring fort of Vinovia (Binchester). Many of the stones exhibit Roman tooling, which is a common occurrence with Anglo-Saxon church buildings. Eaton in his book relating to the re-use of Roman stonework mentions the chancel arch of typical Roman form, tall with massive through-stone jambs, simple chamfered imposts and precision-cut, radial voussoirs, and unlike the non-radial voussoirs that the Anglo-Saxons typically manufactured.

In the restoration of 1880 there were found to be a number of delicately carved fragments of cross-shafts of the high quality commonly assigned to the Hexham school. These were found built into the gables, doubtless at earlier restorations.

Internally the nave measures 43 ft 6in by 14 ft 6in, and its walls are 2 ft 4in thick and approx. 23 ft high; the chancel is 10 ft square. The chancel arch is 5 ft 3in wide and 15 ft high, measured from the floor of the nave.

The church is one of only three complete Anglo-Saxon churches remaining in England.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 16/09/2016).
Visit the page: Escomb Church for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Geograph (geograph)
Escomb Saxon Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Saxon Church at Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3420

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb_Saxon_Church-5410

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb Saxon Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3418

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
The nave, Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Saxon church, Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3419

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb Saxon Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb_Saxon_Church-5424

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3055

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3060

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3056

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Saxon church, Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb_Saxon_Church-5422

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb_Saxon_Church-5425

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3059

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3391

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3054

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Saxon church, Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3406

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb_Saxon_Church-5406

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Font, Saxon church, Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3382

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3064

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3411

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3410

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3399

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3401

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Cross behind the altar

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Medieval grave stone, Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3383

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Lectern at Escomb

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Escomb banner

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3398

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3409

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3394

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP3413

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Escomb Saxon Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Escomb Saxon church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St.Johns : Escomb : Saxon Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Escombe, Co. Durham, the Saxon Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THE SAXON CHURCH - Escomb - List Entry
- "Parish church. C7 with C14 porch and some C13 and C19 windows. Eaves raised at unknown date. Restored 1875-80 by RJ Johnson and 1965 by Sir Albert Richardson. MATERIALS: irregular ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Escomb Saxon Church 675 A.D Bishop Auckland County Durham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://escombesaxonchurch....
Escomb Saxon Church
- "Official Website for one of the most complete Saxon Churches in Europe"

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Vinovia, Binchester Roman Fort
  Co-Curate Page
Vinovia, Binchester Roman Fort
- Overview About Vinovia Map Street View Vinovia was a Roman Fort established c.80 AD, located about a mile north of Bishop Auckland in County Durham. It was situated on Dere ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES