Description"A rebuild c 1890 of an earlier pub, by Lamb and Armstrong, again for Richard Charlton - see [] - in red brick and stone. The corner bay is supported by a massive column giving an arch in each face, above which are two stone balustrades and a narrow spire; this is flanked by decorated stone gables. * Stowell Street is named after Lord Stowell (1745-1836) http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica/Stowell,_William_Scott,_Baron . His younger brother John, who became Lord Eldon, eloped with Bessie Surtees from a house in Sandhill - see [] (photographed by Richard Croft). The street was built in 1824, but was a dead end until 1850, when a gap was made through the Town Walls to connect it with Bath Street. The street was lined with two-storey artisans' houses, some of which survive []. The Buildings of Grainger Town - No.211. See []." Photo by Mike Quinn, 2014.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4508085
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
Viewed: 175 times
Picture Taken: 2014-09-13