DescriptionPhoto by Andrew Curtis (2010) available under a Creative Commons License. "The plaque is on the Pilgrim Street wall of Carliol House, just left of the doorway. Sir Joseph Swan (1828-1914) invented the incandescent light bulb for which he received the first patent in 1878 LinkExternal link He was born at Pallion Hall in Bishopwearmouth (now part of Sunderland) and served an apprenticeship with a pharmacist there. He later became a partner in Mawson's, a firm of manufacturing chemists in Newcastle. This company existed as Mawson, Swan and Morgan until 1973, formerly located on Grey Street in Newcastle-upon-Tyne near Grey's Monument."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1679617
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Pat Thomson
Last modified: 6 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 774 times
Picture Taken: Unknown