The Workhouse - South Shields

  • Description

    "In a parliamentary report of 1776, South Shields was listed as having a workhouse with accommodation for 50 inmates....The South Shields Poor Law Union was formed on 10th December 1836.... The first South Shields Union workhouse was erected in 1837 at a site to the north side of German Street (now Ocean Road)...". Information, including photographs and maps.
  • Owner

    The Workhouse
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 9 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 2045 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.