Buildings north-west of Monk Farmhouse (Allendale)

  • Description

    Monk Farm, is said to have been a cell formerly attached to Hexham. The 17th century house, at present used as a byre, has a low arched doorway at its west end and windows in its side walls all built-up. On a stone is the inscription EF:AF:1677, doubtless the FAIRLESS family. Edward Fairless held the Monk in 1609. (2) The building, part of the farmstead of Monk, is at present used as a byre and milking house. It was originally of two storeys, but the upper floor has been sometime removed and the ground floor built up some 1-1/2 feet. All existing doorways and windows are modern insertions. The dated stone, referred to by Authority 2, has, according to the tenant, now weathered so much, that the inscription is no longer visible. The roof is modern, but at the east end at the gable top is an original dove-cote, a small square tower of stone. (3) Remains of a bastle incorporated in the farmhouse....
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 3 days ago
    Viewed: 28 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.