List number: 1277435
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NY9968639188

Old Market Cross, Stanhope


The remains of the original Stanhope market cross of 1669 are located in the churchyard of St Thomas' Church. It was moved there after the 'new' market cross was erected in 1871. Both the old and new market crosses are Grade II listed.
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Market Cross, St Thomas's Churchyard, Stanhope

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Old Stanhope Market Cross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
OLD MARKET CROSS IN CHURCHYARD ABOUT 3 METRES NORTH OF GATE - Stanhope - List Entry
- "Old market cross in churchyard about 3 metres north of gate GV II Market cross. 1669 resited C19. Sandstone column with square plinth and overhanging square pyramidal-shaped coping."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Market Cross, Stanhope
  Co-Curate Page
Market Cross, Stanhope
- Overview Map

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES