Topics > County Durham > Brignall > Old Church of St Mary, Brignall

Old Church of St Mary, Brignall


The ruins of the 13th century St Mary's Church are located by the River Greta, about ¼ mile east of Brignall. The ruins are Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England. The old church was replaced by the present St Mary's Church in 1834. The walls around the old churchyard, and also some of the tombs in it are also listed. 

Brignall Historic Buildings and Monuments in Brignall Church of St Mary, Brignall
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Mary's Church, Brignall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old St. Mary's church, Brignall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Church of St Mary.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Gravestones in Old St.Mary's Churchyard

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Iron Railings & a Carved Headstone

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Historic Headstone

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old St Mary's Church Brignall in 1991

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Church of St Mary

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
RUINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY - Brignall - List Entry
- Former parish church. Probably C13, remodelled in C18; largely demolished 1833 when new church (q.v.) was built. Squared rubble with cut quoins and dressings. The church consisted of nave ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THWAITES HEADSTONES AT NORTH WEST CORNER OF CHURCHYARD OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY - Brignall - List Entry
- "Headstone, probably C18. Cut sandstone. Flat-topped slab with inscriptions to Christopher Thwaites d.1693 and Henry Thwaites d.1748, both 'Post Master of Greata Bridge', and Henry's wife Eleanor ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
SUTTON HEADSTONES CIRCA 15 METRES SOUTH WEST OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY - Brignall - List Entry
- "2 headstones, early C18. Cut stone. Southern has a shaped top with relief- carved foliage above a sunk ogee-headed panel with inscription to Sarah, wife of Tho. Sutton, d.1721 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
HANBY AND SUTTON CHEST TOMBS 10 METRES SOUTH WEST OF OLD CHURCH OF ST. MARY - Brignall - List Entry
- "3 chest tombs, late C17 and early C18. Cut stone. Each has top slab with moulded edges. The large eastern tomb has a Latin inscription to John Hanby d.1684 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCHYARD WALL AROUND OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY - Brignall - List Entry
- "Churchyard wall, C18 or earlier. Coursed rubble with flat slab coping. Wall c.1.2 metres high on 3 sides of rectangular churchyard; lower retaining wall to riverbank on east ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1121693
List grade: 2
County: County Durham
Grid ref: NZ0772412196

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES