Topics > Cumbria > Mosser

Mosser


Mosser Mains is a hamlet by Mosser Beck in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located just over 3 miles south of Cockermouth, in the Civil Parish of Blindbothel. The Church of St Michael has a history going back to medieval times. Historically, Mosser was a township in the ancient parish of Brigham in Cumberland.

MOSSER, a chapelry, in the parish of Brigham, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 4½ miles (S.) from Cockermouth; containing 107 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; income, £44; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The chapel is dedicated to St. Philip.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Cumbria Blindbothel Civil Parish Brigham Parish, 1848 Church of St Michael, Mosser
from Geograph (geograph)
Mosser Mains.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Mosser Mains

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's Church, Mosser, porch and belfry

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Mosser
- "Township in Brigham parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Blindbothel CP 1934. ... Population: declining from 101 in 1801 to 56 in 1931..."

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES