Topics > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Long Marton Civil Parish > Long Marton Parish, 1848
Long Marton Parish, 1848
MARTON, LONG (St. Margaret), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N.N.W.) from Appleby; containing, with the townships of Brampton and Knock, 804 inhabitants, of whom 303 are in Long Marton township. The village is one of the most considerable in the county, and presents a neat appearance. Marton House, a handsome stone edifice situated at its northern extremity, is occupied by the principal agent to the London Lead Company, whose mining office is here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 15. 7½.; net income, £673; patron, the Earl of Thanet. The tithes were commuted for land, under acts of inclosure, in 1804 and 1815. The church is a large edifice. A place of worship for Wesleyans was erected in 1816.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.