Topics > Northumberland > Learchild

Learchild


Low Learchild is a farmstead located about a mile north-west of the village of Edlingham in Northumberland. A farm at High Learchild is located to the south. Near Low Learchild is Learchild Crossing Cottage, located by a former crossing of the Cornhill to Alnwick branch railway. In the late 19th century there was a brickworks near Low Learchild, associated with the building of the railway.[1]

LEARCHILD, a township, in the parish of Edlingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 6½ miles (W.S.W.) from Alnwick; containing 35 inhabitants. It lies one mile west from Edlingham, and the road between Morpeth and Wooler runs at a little distance on the west.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

There were earlier settlements in the area. The remains of a large Roman Fort (thought to be 'Alavna') are located near High Learchild. There are also the remains of a deserted medieval village at Low Learchild.[2]

Northumberland Edlingham Parish, 1848 Alnwick to Cornhill Railway Edlingham Civil Parish Learchild Roman fort (Alavna)
from Geograph (geograph)
High Learchild Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Coe Burn flows through culvert

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Low Learchild (Edlingham)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Learchild Crossing Cottage

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Path of Disused Railway Line, Learchild Crossing Cottage

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Trackbed of the Alnwick & Cornhill Railway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Hillhead Tunnel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Learchild deserted medieval village
- "Learchild was a member of the barony of Beanley and is first recorded in late medieval documents. Although its history is obscure. In post-medieval times various land ownerships are recorded ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Low Learchild Brick Works
- "This is the site of a brickworks likely associated with the construction of the Alnwick to Cornhill railway line in the 1880s. It is unknown when this site was worked ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Alnwick to Cornhill Railway
  Co-Curate Page
Alnwick to Cornhill Railway
- Overview About the Cornhill Branch The Alnwick to Coldstream (Cornhill) railway, was opened in 1887 by the North Eastern Railway to link it's Kelso line to its Alnwick Branch. Stations: Signal ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES