Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Culgaith Civil Parish > Kirkland (St. Lawrence) Parish, 1848

Kirkland (St. Lawrence) Parish, 1848


KIRKLAND (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the chapelry of Culgaith and the township of Skirwith, 887 inhabitants, of whom 233 are in the township of Kirkland with Blencarn, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Penrith. The parish comprises 7,693a. 2r. 24p., of which 3,052 acres are arable, 4,625 pasture, and 16 wood. Its surface is boldly varied, rising into hills of mountainous elevation, and the high pasture lands are principally grazed by sheep; about 1,000 acres are improvable common. Coal was wrought at Ardale, in the parish, by the late Sir Michael Le Fleming, and on Cross Fell is a mine of lead called Bullman-Hills Vein, the ore of which contains a considerable proportion of silver; copper-ore is also found, and a smelting-furnace has been erected. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 10.; net income, £221; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is an ancient structure. There is a chapel at Culgaith.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Culgaith Civil Parish Church of St Lawrence, Kirkland (Culgaith) Kirkland (Culgaith) Culgaith
Culgaith
  Co-Curate Page
Culgaith
- Overview About Culgaith Map Street View CULGAITH, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkland, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 7 miles (E.) of Penrith; containing 361 ...
Kirkland (Culgaith)
  Co-Curate Page
Kirkland (Culgaith)
- Overview Map Street View Kirkland is a hamlet in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 8 miles north-east of Penrith. Historically, part of Cumberland, 'Kirkland with with Blencarn' was a ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Culgaith Township
- "Township in Kirkland parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Blencarn & Kirkland and Skirwith CPs 1934....predominantly agricultural until coming of railway in 1870s (Culgaith station opened 1880; closed 1970). Sandstone quarrying at Crowdundale, 19th century. Tile works and kiln opened 1836; in operation until ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Kirkland & Blencarn Township
- "Township in Kirkland parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Culgaith CP 1934....part of barony granted to Adam son of Swein c.1100. Manor of Blencarn was granted to William ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Skirwith Township
- "Township in Kirkland parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Culgaith CP 1934....manor of Skirwith, part of barony of Adam son of Swein in 12th century; held by Middleton family ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Church of St Lawrence, Kirkland (Culgaith)
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Lawrence, Kirkland (Culgaith)

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES