Topics > Cumbria > Barrow-in-Furness > Jubilee Bridge over Walney Channel

Jubilee Bridge over Walney Channel


Jubilee Bridge over the Walney Channel connects the centre of Barrow-in-Furness with Walney Island. The bridge was built in 1908 to cater for the large growth in population on Walney Island after Vickers Shipyard built Vickerstown on the island. The bridge had an innovative design, using a rack and pinion system to swing it open for passing ships. It was initially known as Walney Bridge and there was a toll chared to cross it. However, by 1935 the cost of the bridge had been recouped and the toll was lifted; it was renamed Jubilee Bridge, the late Queen Mother came to officially waive the fee during the Silver Jubilee of King George V. The bridge now carries the A590 road and pedestrian walkways. Prior to the bridge being built there was a chain ferry operated by the Furness Railway Co. (the bridge should not to be confused with the Jubilee bridge of 1887 over the Dane Gill Beck in Barrow-in-Furness).

Walney Bridge (officially Jubilee Bridge) is a bascule bridge in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. Completed in 1908, it spans Walney Channel, linking Barrow Island to Walney Island. The bridge carries the A590 trunk road, which has its western terminus on Walney.

History

Talks began in 1897 to how feasible the construction of a bridge connecting Barrow to Walney would be. At the time, Walney residents were frustrated by the fact that they had to use a ferry to traverse the Walney Channel, and they also saw it as an opportunity to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. When the bridge was finally approved many companies fought for the building contract, with Sir William Arrol & Co. winning it. Construction of the £175,000 (in that time) bridge began in mid-1905 and it was finally opened by Barrow mayor Mrs. T.F. Taylor on 30 July 1908. For 27 years Walney bridge was a toll bridge until 4 April 1935, when the late Queen Mother officially renamed it Jubilee Bridge to mark the silver jubilee of King George V of the United Kingdom, as recorded on a plaque on the bridge, and handed it to the townspeople. During World War II, the bascule bridge was lifted every night to ensure that anyone who made landfall on Walney was unable to reach Barrow by crossing the bridge and reaching its shipbuilding facilities. The bridge is now over 100 years old, and in 2008 Cumbria County Council spent £1 million on renovating the bridge and repainting it for its centenary celebration. The bridge is not to be confused with Abbey Road's Jubilee Bridge, which is also in Barrow and is a Grade II listed structure.

The Blue Bridge

Walney Jubilee bridge was often nicknamed by local residents the blue bridge in relation to its colour and to distinguish it from the other bridge situated on Barrow. These nicknames, however, were ended when in 2008 the bridge was painted gold and black.

Centenary celebrations

The bridge celebrated its 100th anniversary with significant renovation and a night of fireworks.

In fiction

The bridge was the link to the fictional island of Sodor, home of Thomas the Tank Engine et al. in The Railway Series books by the Reverend W. Awdry.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 26/09/2018).
Visit the page: Walney Bridge for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Barrow-in-Furness Walney Island Vickerstown Bridges
from Flickr (flickr)
Walney Bridge

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Flickr (flickr)
Walney Bridge - high tide

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Barrow-in-Furness

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Walney Bridge

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Walney Bridge from Walney Island

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Jubilee Bridge crossing Walney Channel

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Jubilee Bridge

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
A590 crossing Jubilee Bridge

Pinned by Edmund Anon
Walney Island
  Co-Curate Page
Walney Island
- Overview About Walney Island Map Street View   The Isle of Walney, also known as Walney Island, is an island off the west coast of England, at the western end ...
Vickerstown
  Co-Curate Page
Vickerstown
- Overview About Vickerstown Map Street View Vickerstown is an area of the town of Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria, located on Walney Island. It was originally built in c.1901 as estate to ...
from http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbri...
The Jubilee Bridge - the road to Walney
- BBC Cumbria, 24th Sept 2014. "Before 1908 making the trip across to Walney Island - England's largest marine island - was not an easy business. Jubilee Bridge Jubilee Bridge But then ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from http://www.walney-island.co...
JUBILEE BRIDGE
- "In 1897 a public meeting was held within Barrow-in-Furness town hall after a period of unrest amongst the Walney folk to discuss a possible bridge being constructed and mark it ...

Added by
Edmund Anon

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES