Hilton Civil Parish, County Durham
About the Parish
|Main Settlements:||Hilton (village)|
|Population:||< 100 (2011 Census) - information is held with Bolam CP|
|Parish Council?||Parish Meeting?|
|Unitary Authority:||Durham County Council|
Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).
Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.
Barnard Castle Rural District, formed in 1894. The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.
Teesdale District (County Durham) from 1974 to 2009.
The district council was abolished when County Durham became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.
See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Hilton Civil Parish Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council, rather than the parish council.