Local History: Hilton (County Durham)

  • Description

    "Hilton is a small village, about eight miles to the north-west of Darlington, and close to West Auckland and Staindrop. There are few early remains from the parish. The most important building is Hilton Hall. Although it is now mainly of 16th century date it contains the remains of an earlier, medieval chapel, dedicated to the Blessed Catherine. This was built by Thomas Baldor in 1219. It was rectangular in shape and had thick stone walls. Just to the south of Hilton Hall lie a number of large earthworks- in the form of two large ditches. It is possible that they are all that survive of medieval fishponds...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D6830
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 375 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES