Weardale Museum and High House Chapel


Weardale Museum is located in High House Chapel in Ireshopeburn in Weardale, County Durham. The museum was established by volunteers in 1985 to preserve the heritage of Weardale, and has since won a number of awards. High House is also the oldest purpose built Methodist Chapel in continuous weekly use.[1] The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and minister's house was originally built in 1760, and later raised and extended in 1871.[2] As part of the Dales circuit of the Methodist movement, High House is recorded as having 266 members in 1772, many of whome were lead miners.[3] By the 19th Century services in the chapel were regulaly attended by well over 600 people. The building, just off the A689 road, is Grade II listed.
Post code: DL13 1HD
from Flickr (flickr)
High House Chapel. Ireshopeburn, Weardale, Durham Dales North East

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.weardalemuseum.c...
Weardale Museum and High House Chapel
- Website of the Museum. "The Weardale Museum is a small independent folk museum established by volunteers in 1985 to preserve the heritage of Weardale. Though entirely voluntary our museum operates ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
The front of High House Chapel
- "John Wesley visited this Methodist Chapel on several occasions." Photo by Andrew Tatlow, 2007, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
High House Chapelpews and altar
- Photo by Andrew Tatlow, and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Pipe Organ in High House Chapel
- "The organ was moved to High House Chapel from the Victoria Hall Sunderland in 1884. On the date of this photograph it was a joy to play!" Photo by Andrew ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
High House Chapel balcony
- Photo by Andrew Tatlow, 2007, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Organ History
- Photo by Andrew Tatlow, 2007, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Organ Specification
- Photo by Andrew Tatlow, 2007, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
HIGH HOUSE CHAPEL AND FORMER MINISTER'S HOUSE - List Entry
- "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and minister's house, now chapel and museum. 1760; extended and raised 1871. Sandstone rubble with quoins, plinth and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.weardalemuseum.c...
History of High House Chapel
- Includes the history of the chapel and quote from the 18th and 19th century which give an indication of the large scale of the congregations of the methodist movement in ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
High House Methodist Chapel and Weardale Museum, Ireshopeburn
- Includes some photographs of the building.

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES