Low Callerton Township, 1848
CALLERTON, LITTLE, or LOW, a township, in the parish of Ponteland, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾ miles (N.W. by W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 34 inhabitants. It is situated on the Pont, and comprises 573 acres, of which 380 are arable, 150 pasture, and 43 wood and water: the soil is a strong clay, suitable for the culture of wheat. The tithes have been commuted for £77 payable to Merton College, Oxford, and £10 to the vicar of the parish.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.