Hearse House


Sometimes reffered to as 'Parish Stables', hearse houses were used for horses and carriages used for funerals. They were usually adjacent or near churches, and common across the country, until they became redundant when motorised hearses arrived on the scene.

from Geograph (geograph)
Hearse house for Bolam St Andrews

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Church stable and hearse house

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Close up of Whittingham Hearse House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Whittingham Hearse house

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Isaac Holden's Hearse House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Stannington Hearse House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The old Hearse House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Michael's Church, Wark - the old hearse house (3)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Date stone on Stannington Hearse House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The old Hearse House (3)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Michael's Church, Wark - the old hearse house (2)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Church stable and hearse house (2)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - former hearse house

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Isaac's Hearse House Reborn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Holden Hearse House Ninebanks

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Michael's Church, Wark - the old hearse house

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Small building, High Street

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.northpennines.or...
Hearse House Gets New Lease Of Life
- 28TH OCTOBER 2015 BY LAUREN CRAWFORD. "Work gets underway in the Allen Valleys A BUILDING that was bestowed to the people of the Allen Valleys in the 1850s and which ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Hearse House, St Giles, Chollerton
  Co-Curate Page
Hearse House, St Giles, Chollerton
- This is an early 19th century stable, later used as a garage for a Hearse, to the west of St Gile's Church in Chollerton. The building is Grade II listed.
Ninebanks Hearse House
  Co-Curate Page
Ninebanks Hearse House
- The hearse house at Ninebanks was store the 'Holden Hearse' gifted to the West Allen Valleys community by local philanthropist Isaac Holden in 1856. Victorian society valued 'dignity in death' ...
Stanhope Hearse House
  Co-Curate Page
Stanhope Hearse House
Old Hearse House, Stannington
  Co-Curate Page
Old Hearse House, Stannington
Hearse House, Walk-on-Tyne
  Co-Curate Page
Hearse House, Walk-on-Tyne
Old School House, Hartburn
  Co-Curate Page
Old School House, Hartburn
- Overview Map Street View The Old School House in Hartburn was built in 1762 by Dr. John Sharpe, vicar of Hartburn. It was also used as the 'Parish Stable' (hearse house).[1] Now ...
Hearse House, Heddon-on-the-Wall
  Co-Curate Page
Hearse House, Heddon-on-the-Wall
- Probably a former Hearse House to the side of Church House in Heddon-on-the-Wall.
Hearse House and King's Oven, Corbridge
  Co-Curate Page
Hearse House and King's Oven, Corbridge
- Overview Map Street View The churchyard wall and hearse house at St Andrew's Church in Corbridge were built in the 18th century, incorporating stone from earlier structures. Adjacent to the hearse ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES