List number: 1155512
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NY9881164422

Hearse House and King's Oven, Corbridge


The churchyard wall and hearse house at St Andrew's Church in Corbridge were built in the 18th century, incorporating stone from earlier structures. Adjacent to the hearse house is the 'King's Oven', a communal oven, first recorded in 1310 and last used in the 19th century. The churchyard wall, hearse house and King's Oven are together a Grade II listed structure.[1]

from Geograph (geograph)
The King's Oven

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The King's Oven (2)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCHYARD WALL WITH HEARSE HOUSE AND ENTRANCE GATEWAY - Corbridge - List Entry
- "Churchyard wall with hearse house and entrance gateway. C18, incorporating earlier fabric. Rubble with dressings; Lakeland slate roof to hearse house. Wall with arched coping ramped up on either side ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES