Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Haydon Civil Parish > Haydon Chapelry, 1855

Haydon Chapelry, 1855

Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.

HAYDON parochial chapelry, the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, and others, is divided for highway purposes into the quarters or divisions of Brokenheugh, Deanraw, Ellerington, and Lipwood. It contains 13,688 acres, and its rateable value is £4,106. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 1,084; in 1811, 1,347; in 1821, 1,574; in 1831, 1,746; in 1841, 1,908; and in 1851, 2,085 souls. The manor of Haydon was formerly the property of Anthony, Lord Lucy, of Cockermouth, who in 1344 obtained a charter from Edward III, in which permission was granted to hold a weekly market here on Tuesdays, and an annual fair on the feast of St. Mary Magdalene, and the three following days, but these privileges have long been disused. This chapelry is intersected by the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, which has a station here, near to which are the Haydon Bridge Iron Works, established in 1843, and extensively carried on by Messrs. Coultas Doddsworth and Co. There are also mills for the smelting of lead ore, at Langley, worked by Messrs. Shield and Co, and had Grindon Hill, a Lead Mining Company has been recently formed. On Ellfoot Hill a cistvaen, containing some ashes, was discovered by Mr Thomas Pickering in 1851, and several ancient silver coins were lately found in an adjoining field.

THE VILLAGE of Haydon Bridge lies on both sides of the Tyne, which is here crossed by a handsome stone bridge of six arches, 6 miles west by south of Hexham. THE CHAPEL, dedicated St Cuthbert, is a substantial stone edifice, with a square tower, erected in 1797. The living is a curacy, in the presentation of W.B. Beaumont, Esq. Rev. George Richmond, curate. The tithes were commuted in 1839, aggregate amount £700 16s. 7d. Impropriate, and £349 10s. 5¼d.  vicarial. The register of the chapelry commences in 1651. THE INDEPENDENT CHAPEL was erected in 1818, but having become too small, efforts are now being made to erect a new one. Rev. George Swan, minister. THE PRESBYTERIAN CHAPEL, Moss Kennell, was erected by subscription in 1841. The primitive methodists have a small place of worship here, and the Wesleyan Reformers have two chapels, one at Haydon bridge, and the other, a small stone edifice, erected in 1849, near Langley Mills.

HAYDON BRIDGE GRAMMAR SCHOOL was founded by deed of the Rev. J Shaftoe, in 1685, and regulated by acts of parliament, 25 George III, and 59 George III. It is governed by seven trustees, who have the right of appointing and removing the master and usher, the former of whom must be Master of Arts and a clergyman in priest’s orders, and must perform service in Haydon Bridge Chapel. The usher must be approved of by the minister of Warden. The instruction prescribed by the founder embraces grammar and classical learning, writing, arithmetic, geography, navigation, and mathematics, and such other literature as the trustees should think proper. By the Act 25th Geo. III, a girls school was engrafted on the original foundation, for teaching girls reading, writing, arithmetic, knitting, working, and other necessary education. It is free to boys and young men, and girls born or resident in the chapelry of Haydon, or at Woodshields, in the chapelry of Newbrough. The income of the school, at the time of the Charity Commissioners report, was £455 per annum. Principle, the Rev George Richmond. There are also two other schools in this chapel, one at Dean Raw, erected by the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, in 1852, the other at Grindon was erected by subscription. They received £20 each per annum from the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, and the trustees of Shaftoe’s charity. Haydon bridge possesses a Library and Newsroom, which were established by subscription in 1836.

CHARITY: in addition to the grammar school, Mr Shaftoe founded and endowed arms houses for 20 poor persons born in the chapelry, each of whom receives 3 shillings and six pence per week, where the supply of coals. The alms people are appointed by the trustees, who select such aged and infirm men or women of the chapelry as appear to be proper objects of the charity.

BROKENHEUGH, a hamlet in this chapelry is situated 5 miles W.N.W. of Hexham. CHESTERWOOD is also a hamlet in Lipwood Quarter, 7½ miles north of Hexham.

DEANRAW quarter contains several small Hamlets, and a number to scattered houses on the east side of the Allen, 8 miles west of Hexham. The banks of the Allen in this neighbourhood are very beautiful, and the crumbling walls and broken gateway of Starward-le-Peel, cause the mind to revert to the Friars Eremites of Hexham, its former possessors.

ELLERINGTON quarter is situated 4¼ miles west of Hexham. THE HALL is the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, and is occupied by Mr William Lambert, whose family has resided here for the last 80 years.

LANGLEY is a village and manor, in Haydon chapelry, 2 miles south west of Haydon Bridge. Here are extensive mills for smelting lead ore, which are extensively carried on by Messrs. Shield and Co. LANGLEY CASTLE, the ancient seat of the Barons of Tynedale, is now in ruins. In the reign of Henry I, it was held by Adam de Tindale, by the service of one knight’s fee, and it was afterwards transferred by marriage to the De Bolteby family, passing from them in a similar manner to Thomas de Moulton, who subsequently assumed the name and arms of Lucy. His son, Thomas, enjoyed this manor after his mother's death, and on his demise, it passed to his son Anthony. Lord Lucy, who, in 1323, seized, by order of Edward II, Andrew de Herkley, Earl and governor of Carlisle, for treason, in the castle of that city, for which important service he was made governor of the castles of Carlisle, Appleby, and Egremont, and in the following year, obtained a grant in fee of the castle and honour of Cockermouth, for which, as also for this manor, he procured the privilege of free warren. He died possessed of this Manor and castle, and was succeeded by his son Thomas, who in his turn was succeeded by his son Anthony, who dying without male issue, his estate was inherited by his daughter Joan, but she dying at an early age, it came into the possession of her aunt, Matilda, who was the wife Gilbert de Umfraville, Earl of Angus, and she surviving him, was afterwards married to Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, in whose family it continued to the reign of Edward IV, when, on the attainder of Henry, Earl of Northumberland, it became the property of John Neville, Marquis of Montacute, who possessed it for six years, and then resigned it to Sir Henry Percy, Lord Poynings. It afterwards became the property of the Radcliffes, of Dilston, and gave the title of Viscount and Baron Langley, to Sir Francis Radcliffe, who was created Earl of Derwentwater, by James I in 1668. On the attainder of the last Earl, it was given to the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, the present proprietors.

LIPWOOD, a hamlet in this chapelry is situated one mile and a half west of Haydon bridge. PLENDOR HEATH is another hamlet, 5 miles N.N.W. of Hexham.

WALL which is a small hamlet, built, as it as its name imports, on the Roman wall, 4½ miles north by west of Hexham. In the neighbourhood of Walwick Grange, many remains of antiquity have been discovered. WARWICK CHESTERS, the Cilurnum of the Notitia, is situated about a mile north of Walwick Grange. A full description of this station, as well as of that of Procolita, now Carrow, will be found under the head “Roman remains”, in the Introductory Review.

BIOGRAPHY: the Rev. John Rotherham, rector of Houghton-le-Spring, in the county of Durham, was a native of Haydon Bridge, and having received the rudiments of education from his father, who was head master of the grammar school in that village, he entered Queens College, Oxford, in 1745,. He shortly afterwards went to Barbados, and during his residence there, wrote a work bearing the title of “The Force of the Argument for the truth of Christianity, drawn from a collective view of prophecy”. His next work was “a sketch of the one great Argument, formed from the general concurring evidence for the truth of Christianity”. In 1757, Mr Rotherham, returned to England, and in the following year became curate of Tottenham, High Cross. In 1759, he published his “Apology for the Athanasian Creed”. In 1766, appeared his most admired work, “An Essay on Faith, and its connection with Good Works”. This obtained for him the patronage of the Archbishop of York, who recommended him to the Bishop of Durham, from whom he received the rectory of Ryton, and afterwards the valuable living of Houghton-le-Spring. He was attacked with palsy, while on a visit to his friend, Dr. Sharp,at Bambrough Castle, and died on the 16th of July, 1789.

JOHN MARTIN, Esq., the celebrated historical painter, was educated at Haydon Bridge Grammar School. He died in the Isle of Man, on the 17th of February, 1854

POST OFFICE, HAYDON BRIDGE, William Walton, postmaster. Letters arrived from Carlisle, at 7:30 AM; From London, Newcastle, and Gateshead at 11-10:00 AM; From Allendale, Whitfield , and Alston at 11:30 AM; From Carlisle and the west at 4:20 PM; and from London, Newcastle, Gateshead, and Carlisle, at 7:30 PM. They are dispatched to Haltwhistle, Newcastle upon Tyne, and the West, at 11:30 AM; To Allendale, Whitfield, and Alston, at 12 20 noon; to Carlisle at 2:00 PM; to London, Newcastle, Gateshead, etc, at 3:30 PM; and to London, Newcastle, Gateshead, and Carlisle, at 7:15 PM. The box closes half an hour previous to each dispatch.


Anderson Cowen, cart proprietor, West Haydon

Cunningham Henry, gardener

Davidson Jane, dressmaker

Davison Miss Dorothy

Dodsworth Coultas, iron founder, etc . (C. Dodsworth and Co) Tofts House

Eltringham Rev,

Eshton Captain William, Chesterwood

Fairlamb Mr. John

Glenwright Mary, dressmaker

LIBRARY AND NEWS ROOM, W. Armstrong, librarian

Nixon William Richard, Chester Grange

Pickering, Mr Thomas, Bank cottage

Pollard Mr William

Race Rev. James

Reed Mrs Jane, Haydon Lodge

Richmond Rev. George

Ridley Ralph, rake, scythe-handle, and general shaft maker

Robson James, iron founder, etc (C. Dodsworth and Co)

Routledge Mrs Jane, Croft Cottage

Smith William, iron founder, etc (C Dodsworth and Co )

Sparke Mr Jonathan, Geeswood House

Sparke John T., clerk, White House

Swann Rev. George William

White Mrs Elizabeth, High Bank House

Wilkinson Thomas, flour dealer

Winter Matthew, lead agent

Academies and Schools

DEAN RAW, James Davison, teacher

GRAMMAR (FREE), Rev George Richmond, Walter Johnson, and Stephen Watson, teachers

GRAMMAR (GIRLS), Ann Lawrey and Frances Johnston, teachers

GRINDON, Adam Cranston, teacher 



Appedaile Thomas Hutchinson, Bank House

Lowes John, Hill House

Boot and Shoemakers

Armstrong Robert

Irving William, and clog

Mitchell Nicholas

Mitchell Robert 

Phillipson John, and clog

Potts William

Reay Joshua

Urwin Thomas


Brown john

Charlton Thomas, Ellerington

Corbett Joseph

Coulson John & son, Water House 

Potts William

Wray George


Armstrong William Branchend

Graham John

Lambert John

Rutherford Alexander, Water House

Coach Builder

Hetherington Matthew 


Farmers and Graziers

Armstrong Samuel, Branchend

Armstrong Thomas, Mill Hills

Arthur George, Treepwood

Awburn John, Lipwood Well

Bell James, Lough green

Bell Robert, Sillywrae

Bell William, Harlow Hill

Benson John, Grindon Hill

Bewick James, Whinnetley

Bewick John, prior house

Coats John, Middle Lipwood

Cowing Anthony, High Morley

Cowing George, Low Hall

Cowing Ralph, Low Morley

Dawson John, Tedcastle

Dickinson Henry, Cruel Syke

Dickinson John, Hill House

Dickinson John, Sillyrae

Dickinson William, Staward

Drydon John, and yeoman, Middle Dean Raw

Drydon Thomas, Moss Kennell

Errington Thomas, Sewing Shields

Eshton William jr, and yeoman, Chesterwood

Fairlamb John Edward, and yeoman

Forster William, and miller, Wood Hall 

Harle John, West Mill Hills

Henderson Anne, East Lane Ends

Henderson Robert, East Ellrington

Hetherington Matthew, Esp hill

Howden William, Haydon

Hutchinson Thomas, Wood Hall

Johnson Joseph, Plankey

Lambert John, and assistant overseer for Haydon Chapelry

Lambert William, Ellrington Hall

Langhorne George, East Brokeneugh

Langhorn John, East Mill Hill

Lee George, & yeoman, West Land Ends

Ord James, and yeoman and road surveyor, Chesterwood

Pickering Thomas, Ellfoot house

Pigg Roger, Vauce

Pigg Thomas, East Dean Raw

Ridley Matthew, Peelwell

Shield Robert, Stublick

Telford George, Cubstock

Watson Thomas, Lees

White Thomas, Harsondale

Woodman John, jun. Grindon

Woodman Robert, Langley Castle

Woodman William, White Chapel 


Grocers and Dealers in Sundries

Armstrong Edward

Armstrong Joseph

Barr Hugh

Benson Septimus George

Dunning Jane, Langley Mills

Forster William

Hailes Matthew

Lambert Ann

Makepiece Francis

Oliver Edward

Parker Joseph

Pattinson John

Short John

Simms Joseph

Thompson Anthony

Turbul Mabel

Wray Thomas

Hotels and Inns

Anchor, Matthew Hetherington, and posting house

Black Bull, Margaret Robson

Cartsbogg, George Robinson

Grey Bull, Joseph Corbett

Nelson Ridge, William Mattinson 

Scotch Arms, William Pearson

Water House, Alexander Rutherford

Wheat Sheaf, Ann Waugh

Beer Houses

Armstrong Edward

Graham John


Dodsworth C. & Co, Haydon Bridge Iron Works


Gibson Daniel, & cartwright

Potts John, & builder

Temperly Ralph, and builder

Lead merchants


Shield Robert & Co, Langley Mills, John Dinning, managing partner

Masons and Contractors

Davison Richard 

Dickinson Henry, Cruel Syke

Howden William, Haydon


Benson Septimus George

Brown Henry

Dodsworth C & Co, and engineers, Haydon Bridge Iron Works


Cowing Matthew

Lee George

Walton William, and ironmonger


Coats Thomas

Elliott Robert

Tailors and Drapers

Armstrong Edward

Armstrong Robert

Hailes Matthew

Oliver Edward

Turnbull Thomas

Walker George 

Haydon Civil Parish Haydon Bridge Tindale Ward, 1855 Northumberland Parishes and Townships - 1855


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.