Topics > Cumbria > Carlisle > Guildhall Museum

Guildhall Museum


The former Guildhall (nos. 5 & 6 Greenmarket) is one of the oldest buildings in Carlisle. The timber-framed building was constructed between 1396 and 1407 for Richard de Redness, and formerly known as Redness Hall. Later the building was used as the Guildhall for Carlisle. The building was renovated in 1978, but much of the early timber-work survives, as do wattle-and-daub internal walls. Today, the building hosts a restaurant and the floors above are the Guildhall Museum, which was opended in 1978.

from Geograph (geograph)
Guildhall Museum, Carlisle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Guildhall, Carlisle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Looking a bit pale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
5 AND 6, GREENMARKET - Carlisle - List Entry
- "Formerly known as: Redness Hall GREENMARKET. Includes: Nos.58 AND 60 FISHER STREET. House (sometimes called Redness Hall), then Guildhall, now cafe with museum over. Documentary evidence suggests that the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List grade: 1
List number: 1210129
Post code: CA3 8JE
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY4003855976

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES