5 AND 6, GREENMARKET - Carlisle - List Entry

  • Description

    "Formerly known as: Redness Hall GREENMARKET. Includes: Nos.58 AND 60 FISHER STREET. House (sometimes called Redness Hall), then Guildhall, now cafe with museum over. Documentary evidence suggests that the present building replaced an earlier structure which was burnt down in the fire that broke out in Carlisle on 4th May 1391 which also destroyed many other properties. The hall was probably constructed between 1396 and 1407 for Richard de Redness. An L-shaped, 3-storey, timber-framed building with 5 bays along Fisher Street and 3 bays on Greenmarket...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1210129
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 17 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES