Gloucester Lodge Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery, Blyth


Gloucester Lodge Battery, just south of Blyth, was a Second World War heavy anti-aircraft gun battery and radar site. It is one of only a handful of complete or near complete Second World War gun batteries that was adapted for continued service during the Cold War. Located in a field by Gloucester Lodge Farm and by the side of Links Road (A193) the buried, earthwork and standing remains of the battery and radar site are a scheduled monument. For detailed information about the site see the Historic England listing.

from https://historicengland.org...
Gloucester Lodge Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery - List Entry
- "....Gloucester Lodge battery is believed to have been established in early 1941, probably on a site used by an earlier mobile battery. Once the likelihood of invasion by sea or ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Stables (former wartime building)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.derelictplaces.c...
Gloucester HAA Battery, Blyth Northumberland
- Post by Jonney, 2011: Labelled map of the site and many photographs of the structures. ".....During WW2 Blyth harbour was used as a major submarine base and that combined with ...

Added by
Pat Thomson

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES