Fulwell, Sunderland


 

Fulwell is an affluent area and former civil parish in the City of Sunderland and the English county of Tyne and Wear. The parish was abolished in 1928 as a result of the Sunderland Corporation Act, 1927, and the area incorporated into the former County Borough of Sunderland. It borders Seaburn, Southwick, Monkwearmouth, and Roker. Fulwell is located near the district border between Sunderland and South Tyneside. Statistically, Fulwell ward, which includes Seaburn, is the most affluent of the city's 25 wards.

Housing in the area is varied. A large network of streets in the southern area of Fulwell contains many nineteenth-century terraced houses, with a large amount of Victorian architecture. In the northern part of Fulwell, housing consists mostly of semi-detached, inter- and post-war dwellings, with many of the most popular streets constructed in the 1930s. House prices, particularly in the area's eastern and western edges, bordering Seaburn and Newcastle Road respectively, are amongst the highest in the city.

Due to Fulwell's role as an overwhelmingly residential area, economic activity in the ward is mostly restricted to the retail and leisure sectors. Local services centre on the main thoroughfare of Sea Road, where a large shopping parade has been established for many years. A mid-sized Sainsbury's store opened in 2006 at Station Road. Fulwell's fire station closed in September 2015, when services were transferred to the new station at Marley Pots. Other services include a public library, which is open for limited hours, a GP clinic, two dental surgeries, and a veterinary surgery. The area is served by local bus services 23, 99, E2 and E6 as well as by the Tyne and Wear Metro, at Seaburn station. Mainline trains no longer stop at the station. Fulwell is also a popular area for social drinking, with a substantial number of pubs and social clubs.

Fulwell was primarily a farming village until it became part of the urban sprawl of industrial Sunderland in the nineteenth century. Relics of this agricultural past still survive in the form of three windmills, including the 19th century Fulwell Mill, the only working windmill in the United Kingdom featuring a stone reefing stage (a design-feature peculiar to mills in north-east England, equivalent to the gallery found on other mills). The mill, built in 1808, was restored to working order between 1996 and 2001 after over half-a-century out of use, and celebrated its bicentenary in 2008. In late 2011, however, the sails and cap suffered severe storm damage.

Politically, Fulwell has long been regarded as a staunch Conservative ward in a region of traditional Labour strength. Since the ward's creation it has always had at least one Conservative party councillor, and is currently represented on Sunderland City Council by two Conservative councillors and one Labour councillor.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 14/06/2017).
Visit the page: Fulwell, Sunderland for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Sunderland Public Libraries (flickr)
247 - Fulwell windmill June 1958

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Fulwell Windmill

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Fulwell Windmill

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from Sunderland Public Libraries (flickr)
Fulwell Social Club

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from Sunderland Public Libraries (flickr)
Fulwell Road

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from Sunderland Public Libraries (flickr)
Mayswood Road

source Pinned by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Fulwell Pumping Station, Sunderland
- "Owned by Northumbria Water." Photo by Les Hull, 2006, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Lee Street, Fulwell, Sunderland
- The houses on Lee Street are Sunderland cottages.- "Sunderland expanded rapidly during the Victorian era, as it became a centre for coal-mining and shipbuilding. To provide housing for workers, streets ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
High View Nursery in Viewforth Terrace, Fulwell
- Photo by peter robinson, 2012, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Mill Bank, Fulwell, Sunderland
- "Mill Bank in Fulwell, to the north of Sunderland, looking eastwards towards the sea less than a mile away." Photo by Malc McDonald, 2015, and licensed for reuse under a ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Old lime kilns, Fulwell, Sunderland
- "These lime kilns are a relic of quarries which used to occupy this site. The kilns, which are Grade II listed, are located on the A1018 road running north from ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Windmill at Fulwell, Sunderland
- "The windmill, built between 1806 and 1808, is a Grade II listed building. Although it had been restored, its sails were damaged in a storm in 2011." Photo by Malc ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Fulwell Fire Station, Sunderland
- Photo by Malc McDonald, 2015, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Sea Road, Fulwell, Sunderland
- "Sea Road leads from Fulwell to the seafront at Seaburn, to the north of Sunderland." Photo by Malc McDonald, 2015, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
Bower Street, SR6
- Photo by Mike Quinn, 2014, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
The Bluebell, Station Road / Fulwell Road, SR6
- Photo by Mike Quinn, 2014, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Pat Thomson
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
A relic of the past; a shop off Sea Road, Seaburn
- "This shop is part museum part hardware shop, it sells a variety of goods, from sets of Roman coins to a good stiff yard broom!" Photo by Ann Hodgson, 2005 ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Haversham Park, Fulwell, Sunderland

source Pinned by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Fulwell Methodist Church

source Pinned by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
New building in Fulwell

source Pinned by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Sunderland Flying Boat Public House

source Pinned by
Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES