FULWELL, a township, in the parish of MonkWearmouth, union of Sunderland, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles (N.N.W.) from Sunderland; containing 134 inhabitants. Here are several lime-kilns: the village is small, and held by lease under the church of Durham. On removing a bank of earth in 1759, a human skeleton, nine feet and a half in length, was found, with two Roman coins near its right hand; and in working the limestone-quarries some years since, a kind of square pit was opened, within which was a quantity of stags' horns, cut into lengths of three or four inches, and placed amongst a deep-coloured substance, most resembling decayed animal matter.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.