Topics > Cumbria > Ulverston > Friends' Meeting House

Friends' Meeting House


Swarthmoor Friends' Meeting House, is located on Meeting House Lane in the Croftlands area of Ulverston, about half a mile east of the village of Swarthmoor. The Quaker meeting house is dated 1688, with alterations in the 19th century. George Fox bought the land (at that time part of Swarthmoor Estate) in 1687 from the daughters of Judge Fell, of Swathmoor Hall, and passed it on to the Friends for the purpose of building the meeting house. It was registered as a place of worship in 1689.[1] The building is Grade II* listed.

Ulverston Grade II* Listed Historic Buildings and Monuments in Ulverston Swarthmoor 1688 Quakers
from Flickr (flickr)
Swarthmoor

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Swarthmoor Friends Meeting House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE - Swarthmoor
- "Quaker meeting house. Dated 1688; interior altered 1814; sash windows added 1829; gable wall slated 1843. Roughcast with some sandstone ashlar dressings and some slatehanging, with slate roof....Adjoining to ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Swarthmoor
  Co-Curate Page
Swarthmoor
- Overview About Swathmoor Map Street View Swarthmoor is a village located to the south-east of Ulverston in the South Lakelands district of Cumbria. Prior to 1850 there were just a ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1270207
List grade: 2*
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: SD2837876875

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES