List number: 1159908
List grade: 2
Post code: DH4 6SP
Grid ref: NZ3219446737

Former Ebenezer Chapel, West Rainton


"John Wesley himself is believed to have twice preached to the miners of West Rainton in April 1747. Services were held in the homes of members until a chapel was built in Hall Lane in 1822. Its last service was held in 1956 and the chapel closed due to lack of support, having once been extremely active. It was subsequently used for many years as book storage." (West Rainton and Leamside Parish Council) Now converted into a residence. It is a Grade II listed building.

from https://historicengland.org...
FORMER EBENEZER CHAPEL - West Rainton - List Entry
- "Ebenezer chapel, dated 1822 on stone at centre front; present use not known. Coursed squared sandstone, right return and rear rubble, with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://parishes.durham.gov....
About West Rainton and Leamside
- "West Rainton has an intriguing and ancient history; a place where direct ancestors of Her Majesty the Queen lived at one time. According to Robert Surtees’ The History and Antiquities ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES