Fawdon Colliery


The sinking of 'A' Pit of Fawdon Colliery begain in March 1810, reaching the High Main coal seam in May, 1811, at a depth of about 89 metres. 'B' Pit was sunk opened in 1813. The colliery was closed before the turn of the century.

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Fawdon Colliery
- "....High Fawdon, Fawdon Square, and Low Fawdon, ate pit villages, which owe their existence to the colliery. The A Pit was commenced in March 1810 ; and the High Main coal ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(4002): Fawdon Colliery B Pit
- "Fawdon B Pit (Coal). Marked as Old on the 2nd edition OS mapping, so out of use by 1895. Part of Fawdon Colliery and Fawdon West Pit - both marked on ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(4011): Fawdon Colliery, Engine Pit
- "Fawdon Old Pit shown on the 1st edition OS mapping, despite the name. The colliery and Engine Pit opened in 1810. There were several pits - A Pit, B Pit (opened ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
037038:Old Pit Cottages Fawdon Dept of Environmental Health c.1935

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Seaton Burn Wagonway
  Co-Curate Page
Seaton Burn Wagonway
- Brunton & Shields Railway, opened in 1826 by the Grand Allies, and built by Benjamin Thompson, extended in 1837. From 1878 it became known as the Seaton Burn Wagonway. Today ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES