Fawdon Colliery

  • Description

    "....High Fawdon, Fawdon Square, and Low Fawdon, ate pit villages, which owe their existence to the colliery. The A Pit was commenced in March 1810 ; and the High Main coal was reached in May, 1811, at a depth of 48 fathoms. The engine power at this pit is 15 horses ; but it is not now in operation. The B Pit was sunk in the years 1813 and 1814, and is about the same depth as the A Pit. During the sinking a fossil tree was discovered....."
  • Owner

    Durham Mining Museum
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/f016.htm
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 186 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES