Evenwood Township, 1848
EVENWOOD, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5¼ miles (S.W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing, with Barony, 1,729 inhabitants. The greater part of this township is in the chapelry of Auckland St. Helen, and the rest in the newly-assigned district of Etherley. The village is situated on the summit of a steep bank to the south of the Gaunless, and contains a place of worship for Wesleyans. There was formerly a castle, of which the moat may still be traced.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.