Etherley (district), 1848
ETHERLEY, an ecclesiastical district, in the chapelry of St. Helen Auckland, parish of St. Andrew Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (S.W.) from Bishop-Auckland. This is a newly-assigned district, for which a church was lately consecrated: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, and has been endowed with £130 per annum out of the property of the see.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.