Topics > Newcastle City Centre > Streets > Ellison Place

Ellison Place


Ellison Place is a street in the centre of Newcastle. The street was significantly altered and several buildings were demolished for the construction of the Central Motorway, which opened in 1973. Nos. 1-5 Ellison Place (aka Ellison Terrace) were built in 1810 and are now mailnly used by Northumbria University. The street is visually dominated by MEA House, which spans over the road, and was built in 1974 to house community organisations. The north end of the street, beyond MEA house, has several buildings of Northumbria University, incluing the Ellison Building (1960s), and also the Church of the Divine Unity (1940). At this end of the street is a footbridge over the motorway to the University's City Campus East. Notable past residents of Ellison Place were Dr Ethel Williams (1863-1948), who was a Suffragist and Newcastle's first female doctor, and Cardinal Basil Hume (1923-1999), who was born at No. 4, Ellison Place.

Streets Ellison Building Church of the Divine Unity, Ellison Place MEA House Nos. 1-5, Ellison Place
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
054565:Ellison Place Newcastle upon Tyne Signey J. 1969

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
054570:Ellison Place Newcastle upon Tyne Signey J. 1966

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
018702:Ellison Place Newcastle upon Tyne Signey J. 1970

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
014673:Ellison Place Newcastle upon Tyne 1965

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
015200:Ellison Place Newcastle upon Tyne 1966

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
018684:Ellison Place Newcastle upon Tyne Signey J. 1970

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
018698:Ellison Place Newcastle upon Tyne Signey J. 1970

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
018696:Oxford Street Central Newcastle Upon Tyne 1970

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://radicaltyneside.org/...
Dr Ethel Williams
- "Dr Ethel Williams, Newcastle's first female doctor, radical suffragist and pacifist, moved to the city in 1896. Her initial home in Newcastle was on Ellison Place; she then lived ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
St. Peters Church, Newcastle upon Tyne

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Cardinal Basil Hume plaque, 4, Ellison Place, Newcastle upon Tyne

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Ellison Building
  Co-Curate Page
Ellison Building
- The Ellison Building at Northumbria University was built in the 1960s, for Rutherford College of Technology, a predecessor of todays University. It was designed by George Kenyon, City Architect.[1]

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES