Eldon Garden Shopping Centre
Eldon Garden Shopping Centre on Percy Street began trading in March 1989 and was officially opened by Princess Margaret on 17th November 1989. Eldon Garden was built on the site of Handyside Arcade, an Edwardian indoor market, built in 1906. The modern shopping centre did retain the cast-iron roof trusses of the old arcade. Eldon Garden extends over Percy Street and connects with the Eldon Square Shopping Centre.